As is the custom, Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett met with the media following the morning walkthrough and in advance of the afternoon practice session that's open to the public. It was a lighthearted presser as Garrett chided the media for being a bit lackadasical following the Thursday night media gathering that Jerry Jones hosted the night before.
In dealing with on-the-field issues, here's a quick summary of what Garrett touched on.
- Montrae Holland, Derrick Dockery and Daniel Loper, all guards that played for Dallas last year, will have official workouts prior to the practice session to see if Dallas brings anyone in to help with the rash of injuries to the interior of the offensive line
- Nate Livings injury (LG) is not a hyperextended knee, it's a slight hamstring injury and he should return in 2-3 days
- The team has considered bringing in free agent centers, but to this point hasn't found what they were looking for out of the available players.
- On Barry Church: "He's one of those guys that overdelivers over and over and over" and "you can see the passion he has for the game". He mentioned that Church has improved in coverage and shed reputation as a box safety; even though coverage is still not his strong suit.
- On Dez Bryant's conditioning: Dez might be built like a mountain, but wideouts need to be able to run and run and run. Run all day. That's what he needs from Bryant and he's seen the improvement this year; it shows up in speed out of breaks on routes and other areas.
- On Bryant: He also has to work on knowing how to channel his energy; intimating that Bryant will waste plenty of it before games doing too much work with trainers/equipment guys.
Also of note today, Sports Business Journa's Liz Mullen has reported that Dez has fired agent Drew Rosenhaus and will have to wait five days to name a new one.
For continued Cowboys coverage, head on over to Blogging The Boys.