Rick Gosselin has released his Top 100 draft prospects list, compiled from conversations with NFL clubs. It's behind DMN's pay wall, but here are a few highlights.
- A.J. Green is his top ranked player, followed by Von Miller and Patrick Peterson.
- Cam Newton ranks No. 6, a little higher than I would have expected.
- Among names commonly associated with the Cowboys, Tyron Smith is No. 7, J.J. Watt No. 11, Cam Jordan No. 12, Nate Solder No. 13, Prince Amukamara No. 15 and Anthony Castonzo No. 16. If the Cowboys aren't in love with Smith, it's easy to see why they could feel comfortable moving back a few picks. Scouting director Tom Ciskowski said Tuesday that, assuming that the draft worked out like he expected, there should be four comparable prospects available at No. 9.
- Gosselin gives first round grades to four QBs: Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jacke Locker and Christian Ponder. Andy Dalton ranks No. 34.
- In addition to Miller and Dalton, local players ranked in the top 50 include Baylor's Phil Taylor at No. 24 and Danny Watkins at No. 28, UT corner Aaron Williams at No. 31, and TCU guard marcus Cannon right after Dalton at No. 35. Abeline Christian's Edmond Gates ranks No. 57. Sam Acho - who Will Muschamp told ESPN 103.3 he expects to have a 10-12 year career - is No. 94.
Blogging The Boys has a few other nuggets:
There is a group of players with grades at the very end of the first round who should be of interest to the Cowboys--with the hope that one or more of them drop to # 40. They are Danny Watkins (28); Adrian Clayborn (29); Cameron Heyward (30); Aaron Williams (31); Derek Sherrod (32); Muhammad Wilkerson (33) and Jon Baldwin (37). Other invitees to Valley Ranch include: J.J. Watt (11); Prince Amukamara (15); Anthony Castonzo (16); Mike Pouncey (20) Kenrick Ellis (45); Rahim Moore (47); Will Rackley (56); Edmund Gates (57); DeMarco Murray (84); Johnny Patrick (87); Bilal Powell (90).